Sunday, December 2, 2012

Trip to Kansas City December 2012 - Day Three

My day began with Peter, my brother-in-law.  After some delays, we met up at First Watch Cafe in Prairie Village.  While I waited for him, I had a nice long conversation with my son Brendan who was celebrating his fortieth birthday.  the conversation was by phone with him in his home in Aurora IL.  after breakfast, Peter and I went to the Nelson-Atkins Museum to visit a show of the work of photographer Terry Evans.  She is a preeminent landscape photographer who grew up here and whose work captures the look and feel of the prairie.  The exhibit--Heartland: The Photography of Terry Evans--is a superb display of both photography and the lives of people in the Midwest prairie.  The photograph to the left is not of one of her pieces -photography is allowed throughout the museum except for the featured show and the Picasso room--but it reminded me a lot of the work of my son Galen with origami.

I left Peter to go through the rest of the exhibit because I was meeting my sister Louisa for lunch on the Plaza.  We had a leisurely meal at Brio's on the Plaza and I got caught up on her health situation and her family.  They are doing well and she is doing better although the doctors  cannot pinpoint the source of a recurring fever.  She is in good spirits nonetheless.

From there I went by the Holly, Holly, Holly Days  Christmas Craft Sale.  She has been in this show for several years and has always done very well as is true this year too.  I spent about an hour with her and met some of her friends and regular customers.  This has been a hectic year so she is showing very little ceramic work but has really gotten into origami stars of various designs and cat purses.  I will be going back tomorrow to help her close up and then have dinner with her and Bob.

You can see more of photos in the updated Picasa album of this Kansas City trip.

I then spent the early evening on the Country Club Plaza taking photographs as the sun set.  The weather was very pleasant; it had gotten well into the sixties during the day.  There were crowds everywhere enjoying the carriage rides, the restaurants  and the dramatic lighting that takes place every year from Thanksgiving through the Christmas Season.  I took a number of images, many of which were multiple exposure compensations which I will process into high dynamic range photos.  The one to the left is one of those that I have already processed.

You can see more photos of the Plaza by viewing the Plaza Picasa album.  Below is a video pan as I began my visit to the Plaza.

No comments:

Post a Comment