Saturday, February 11, 2012

Kansas City Trip February-Day Four

Saturday morning was cold and colder.  The temperature was 4 degrees when I woke up with a wind chill of -7.  I made the two hour to Clyde under a cloudless and cold sky.  Fortunately there was no snow although apparently some is on the way for Sunday, the day I leave.  When I arrived in Clyde, I found Sr. Paula looking for all the world like a giant cranberry snowman.

We spent the morning visiting and sharing our spiritual journeys.  At 85 she continues to be a learner and wonderer and provides me with a role model of what it means to be fully human and faithful.  She continues to have a wonderful and warm sense of humor.  I attended the retirement community Mass and then joined them for the noon meal.  It was delicious and was topped off with some cherry pie a la mode.  I sneaked a second piece later in the afternoon.

We then drove up to the mother house to see the new entrance.  I could hardly recognize the place with all the demolition and new construction.  It was all done with the care and attention to detail that I have come to recognize typically "Benedictine" but which this community does even better than most.  We visited the chapel which was not part of the renovation.  It is such a remarkable place to find in the middle of Northwest Missouri.  We also drove over to Conception Abbey to see the new retreat center that is under construction.


I drove back to Kansas City and then joined Mom and my sisters and brothers-in-law for a dinner at Panera, one of Mom's favorite places.  We ended up spending almost two hours eating and visiting...and laughing a lot.  Mom doesn't like having her picture taken but I got some nice shots of her displaying her lively smile.

View the updated Picasa album.

No comments:

Post a Comment