Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Trip to Appleton August 2012 - Day Four

Monday was a quiet day.  Meg worked in her office at the University for a few hours in the morning and I enjoyed the pleasant environment of Harmony Cafe, a coffee house and cafe operated by Goodwill Industries.  I continued reading The Cat's Table, Michael Ondaatje's latest novel.  He is the author of The English Patient which was made into an award winning film.  I highly recommend The Cat's Table.

Pelicans and other water fowl waiting for their supper.
We walked back home where I took my daily and always much anticipated nap.  Lynne was working at home today so the three of us prepared for our evening activities.  These began with a trip back to Vulcan Park to view the the feeding aquatic fowl at the base of the dam.  We had been there Sunday, but I only had my little camera and I wanted to get back during evening light with my Canon and a longer lens.  The light was good and, of course, the birds were there.  I got some nice shots.  It appeared that the various types of birds had somehow worked out their positions and territories in a mutually respectful way.  Either that, or the larger birds took the best spots and the smaller ones jockeyed for what was left.  In any case, there seemed to be settled boundaries with no discernible disputes.

Meg and Lynne in their Cooper convertible.
After that, we went to Noodles & Company which was sponsoring a benefit for the Paper Valley Roller Girls.  Twenty-five percent of every check went to the league.  We enjoyed good food and supported a good cause.  Happily enough, this location was close to a Cold Stone Creamery and a Starbucks and so we ended the evening with some nice ice cream and good coffee as we visited and watched a cloud wall with lightning make its way into the area.  All that threat, however, produced no rain.

Take a look at the updated photo album.

No comments:

Post a Comment