Friday, August 10, 2012

Trip to Appleton August 2012 - Day One

I am in Appleton WI visiting our daughter, Meg, and her partner, Lynne. Usually I am here in January when the weather makes it rather inhospitable no matter how gracious and welcoming Lynn and Meg are. When I landed today, the temperature was in the sixties with low humidity. The lawns have begun to green up as they recover from the hot and dry July. This is similar to Rochester.




Meg picked me up in her Mini Cooper convertible and after stopping at the house for a bit we walked the four blocks to campus and her office. She had a commitment to make a presentation to prospective students and their parents about the freshman studies program at Lawrence University which she is directing for the next two years. You can learn about this very impressive program by going to the Lawrence web site. She did a masterful job.
After a late lunch at a Taste of Thai restaurant, we went back to the house where I promptly took a nap. When I woke up, I found that Lynne had returned early from her new job which is in Green Bay about an hour away. It was good to get caught up with her and the fascinating project she is working on. More on that in a later blog.
I should mention that I am here as Meg's guest for her last Roller Derby "bout" of the season. I kid you not, it is not a match but a bout. You can find out more about her team on its web page or its Facebook page.




Although Meg is a tenured associate professor of physics at Lawrence University, perhaps, her Facebook page is heavy with promotion for the final bout. Roller Derby nom de bout, "Deviled Meg."
Meg went up to DePere to work on getting the venue ready for tomorrow's bout. It took her longer than she thought it would. Lynne and I went out for dinner at Serious Burger and Meg joined us. Back home to grab some Ben & Jerry's and then off to bed.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:N Rankin St,Appleton,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment