Monday, January 16, 2012

AppletonTrip-Day Five







I am back home in Rochester as I write this. Sunday was a day to have brunch with Harry, get packed, and travel home. Brunch with Harry was enjoyable. He is doing much better this year and seems to be well settled in at Lawrence. He is a member of a fraternity and is enjoying the companionship a great deal. I forget the name of the fraternity but he explained his interest in it because it was not a univocal type--jocks, partiers, scholars, etc.--but sort of a bit of all. At any rate, he is living in a residence on campus provided for the fraternity and seems to be working hard and keeping organized. He is now majoring in Russian--both language and culture--and both enjoying it and doing well. He may well be spending a term in the fall of his senior year at St. Petersburg. A grandparent visit might be in order.

As I was leaving Appleton, preparations were underway for a playoff watching party at the house on Rankin. This was going to be a real cheesehead event complete with deep fried cheese curds courtesy of good friends across the street. Sadly the results were not what the attendees anticipated or hoped for...except perhaps for the one lone Giants fan. So the football season is now over in Wisconsin but on a positive note it is now becoming frigid enough that ice fishing will finally be safe, not that the lack of safe ice has kept slightly inebriated denizens of the cheese state from setting up shop on the ice!







The trip home was uneventful. I watched All Quiet on the Western Front on my iPad. While I was gone I watched Battle for Algiers, Valkyrie, and Full Metal Jacket as well. I have had quite enough of war movies for a while. It is hard not to see that they are all the same movie in many ways, in many important ways.

View the photo album of the Appleton trip.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment