Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Trip to New York April 2012 - Day Two




As usual I was up early and got some photos of the locale scene in the early morning light. Rob's cottage is right on the bank of Mamaroneck River. The space in the yard is quite constrained but he has made excellent use of the site.

After breakfast, we went down to the harbor and walked around. It was mostly sunny with just the right number of puffy cloud to make the scenes interesting. I dropped Marilyn off on the main street where she spent a couple of hours visiting shops. I spent the time back down at the harbor and around town scouting out some places for picture making.




I had spotted a building earlier and wondered exactly what it was. It was topped with a tall tower with a light beacon on top of that. I was surprised to learn that it was a sewage treatment plant that was built in 1929 when they precipitated out the solid matter and then burnt it. That tower was, in fact, a smoke stack! They stopped that in the 1940's but it continues to operate today.

I had another treat as I was investigating the building. A brisk breeze came up and made it look for all the world like snow flurries.


Oh my gosh. I just looked at our tickets for Wicked for tonight and saw that they are for THURSDAY night! My mistake. Unfortunately that means that I had to cancel our B & B reservations for Thursday night outside Poughkeepsie. Looks like we will be staying an extra day in New York.

What is that old saying?  "A door closes...and a door opens."  That was our experience tonight.  We decided to walk to Mamaroneck Ave for dinner.  Rob suggested an Italian restaurant:  Rosa's La Scarbitta. There we met Rosa who is both chef and waiter.  She came from Italy 40 years ago and opened the restaurant 14 months ago with her husband, Angelo.  The wall when you enter says something like:  When you come as a guest, you leave as my friend."  We found this to be absolutely true.

And the food was delicious.  And here is a review from the NY Times.

Check out the photo album so far.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment