Sunday, April 22, 2012

Trip to Pleasant Hill April - Day Two

With the three hour time difference, the day began very early for me.  However it is the opportunity to get these blogs done and then to have coffee with Sean at the local Starbucks.  After sunrise, the backyard feeders were visited by a full complement of hungry birds.  this gave a chance to try out my new Canon 60D at moderately high ISO and my longest lens.  I like the result as I have with all my early experience with it.

Julie had prepared some of her delicious muesli which had been in the refrigerator over night.  So I began the day by overeating which, of course, continued throughout the day.

We got ready for the big event and arrived at Christ the King a little after 10:00.  As we arrived the 9:00 First communion class was just leaving church.  CTK has a school and a large religious education program.  As a result, there are six first communion celebrations spread over three weekends.  The long-time pastor, Fr. Brian Joyce, is an experienced presider with a comfortable and commanding style.  You could tell that he truly enjoyed the children, their families, and the entire experience.  He reminded me of Fr. Bill Donnelly, the retired pastor of our own St. Mary's.

First Communions and other family events are great opportunities for family portraits and this one was no exception.  Normally I have a hard time getting everyone ready and into the same frame but this time I was able to get a number of such shots.

One interesting sidelight to the ceremony was the attendance of Herm Edwards, former head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs and current ESPN NFL analyst.  He was there for a God child's first communion. I went over and introduced myself and he was gracious with a brief conversation.

After the ceremony, we went for lunch to Jack's, a nice informal restaurant that in the space formerly occupied by The Left Bank, were we had Sean and Julie's rehearsal dinner and the lunch after Sam's baptism.

Then it was home for a nap and more food.  Inevitably it was time to eat again and we had Mexican take out from a restaurant in the area that Sean and Julie have been using since they were married.  Delicious to be sure even if more than I needed.  Marilyn and I took a walk around the neighborhood and returned home for more food:  the First Communion cake.  Shown here with the happy First Communion boy.

I made a good faith effort to read to Sam but, of course, I fell asleep before he did.




Click here to watch a video of Sam's procession in with his Mom and Dad.

Click here to watch a video of Sam's class singing a hymn after Mass.

Click here to watch a video of Sammy playing in the sprinkler.

Click here to go to the updated photo album of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment