Monday, June 11, 2012

Trip to Huntington Beach June - Fourth Day

Sunday was the day for my bike ride with Galen.  He had identified a local bike shop whose web site said they rented road and hybrid bikes rather than the omnipresent cruisers which shops all over Hunting beach have available.  We got to the shop when it opened only to learn that, in fact, they rented no bike of any kind and that this was true of any "real" bike shop.  We had to re-calibrate our plans since if I was going to be on a cruiser--no gears and coaster brakes--we wouldn't be doing a long distance ride along one of the river trails.  It turned out to be just fine since Maggie was up for going along.  So Galen used his tandem bike and I used a cruiser.  We went for 12 mile ride along the beach trail/walkway south toward the Huntington Beach Pier.  Here is some video that shows what a lovely day it was.

It was a lovely ride.  I didn't get any good pictures of Galen and Maggie but Galen did get this one of Maggie and me.  
When we got back home and after we returned the bike, I took a shower and a nice nap.  then we all piled into the van and headed to Newport Beach for the final piece of the weekend birthday celebration, dinner at a Japanese buffet.  There was plenty of food of all kinds.  Apparently Henry was cruising the buffet when I took this picture.  
We headed back home to finish off the remainder of the ice cream birthday cake.  Then Lee Alan, my nephew called.  He and his family relocated this spring to Ventura area where he is stationed in the Navy.  I had talked to my sister Louisa earlier in the day when I realized from Facebook that she was out visiting them and that on Saturday they spent the day at Knotts Berry Farm which is just across the street from Soak city where we spent a good part of Saturday.  It also turns out that their daughter Elaine has the same birthday as the twins:  same day and same year.  How about that for a small world.  I look forward to seeing all of them in July when we all gather for my Mom's 100th birthday celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment